Skip to main content

10A Problem Submitting Correct Answer

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Oliviacat3

I haven’t cracked it yet, but does the fact that the title is 36 characters (incl. spaces) and lines 72 mean anything

Hello

@Madness

What kind of clue is that???

And what has the Greek God of sleep and dreams got to do with this? More importantly, what has a RABBITHOLE go to do with this?

Quit with the riddles and give us a direct hint!

Sounds like a new type of cipher has been born!
    What shall we call it?
    The Russian Dolls Cipher sounds good, or simply The Madness Cipher because it is madness trying solve it!

Harry
    Keymaster

I rather fancy “Wonderland” for the cipher name.

Harry

Oliviacat3

Morpheus is from Matrix, and so is the link to the blue and red pills. The rest is Alice and Wonderland

Harry, somehow that got me listening to Bert Kaempfert’s Wonderland By Night.
    It was the first one of his tunes that I heard a long time ago, I like all his music.
    Find it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C1Do07gGlM

I’m in wonderland at how Kalicali and GordonWelshman got plaintext so quickly!

Oliviacat3 I thought that too because a matrix may be a way in but its not helped with the cipher.

I have tried different binary representations and spliced them in various ways but so far nothing gives.

Hello

@harry
    Wonderland” as the cipher name? Let’s see:

It’s a “wonder” that anyone can solve 10B.
    It’s a “wonder” how Madness was able to come up with this cipher in the first place.
    It’s a “wonder” that after all my endeavour to solve this I have gotten nowhere.
    It’s a “wonder” what Alice in Wonderland has to do with the cipher.

So yes, “Wonderland” seems like a perfect name. (It is, however, no wonder that Madness has the same attitude as Harry when it comes to watching us struggle.)

Now 👀 look here Madness you are only alluding to something, that was not a hint my friend…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill
    The red pill and blue pill is a popular meme representing a choice between taking a “red pill”, that reveals the unpleasant knowledge and the cruel truths of every day life, and taking a “blue pill” to remain in ignorance. The terms are directly derived from a scene in the 1999 film The Matrix.

A meme by me…
    …You take the blue pill – the challenge ends, you carry on your life in blissful ignorant peace. You take the red pill – you do the cipher challenge.. And you get to know how deep the rabbit-hole goes…

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/go+down+the+rabbit+hole
    ‘Go down the rabbit hole’: To enter into a situation or begin a process or journey that is particularly strange, problematic, difficult, complex, or chaotic, especially one that becomes increasingly so as it develops or unfolds. (An allusion to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.)

Macss

The scene in the matrix where Morpheus offers Neo one of the pills to return to reality or ‘see how how the rabbithole goes’ goes as follows –
    You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more

Madness

If you really need another clue…
    Remember that I started by thinking about 9B. But I don’t use 0,1,2. What do I use instead?

Madness

Maybe the first part is Wonderland, but maybe the second part is Lookingglass…

Thanks Madness, but I am nowhere near to making use of that info yet.

As I see it these are the obstacles to a solution…

1 How to represent 24 units using the 9 letters (9B DID start with the CODE)
    2 Which 2 letters to leave out (J and Z again?)
    3 What to use as the units (5 bit binary?)
    4 What are the 2 keywords (Wonderland, Lookingglass?)
    5 What are the 2 different schemes used for decrypting
    6 How to access the units in 2 different ways

That is a lot of variables!

It’s not for want of trying, but I’m not making any progress.

I know how awkward it is to give hints without giving an actual answer in these early posts but some help with 1 above would be a start as I cannot even begin work on code that I’m not sure of being the right code, so some definite info on that may help a lot of us out.

Now you don’t want me to take the blue pill do you?

Madness

Who here knows a good test for detecting grid-based ciphers? I’m looking for something
    to help classify ciphertexts. TIA

BTW, there is a new-ish way to find the period of a Vigenere. It’s called the twist algorithm.
    I tried it out, and it correctly finds the period of 9A, whereas the old way is too sensitive
    to the value of a cutoff and sometimes doesn’t get it. Here’s a link, if you can get past
    the doormouse –er, I mean doorman:
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01611194.2014.988365

Madness

@Oliviacat3
    No, it does not mean anything that the text is written in lines of a certain length.
    That was just so it would fit on a page nicely in my editor.

New clue: my “digits” are in groups. Look at the frequency table to see another way
    they are grouped.

Hello

@madness and @harry
    I’ve come up with a name for the cipher.

How about The Madhatter’s cipher?

(Get it?)

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.