Skip to main content

Congratulations and Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Harry
    Keymaster

At 23:00 last night Challenge 9 drew to a close bringing to an end this year’s National Cipher Challenge. I want to give heartfelt thanks to everyone who took part this year: to all the competitors and their supporting teachers and family; to the staff at 10 Degrees who built and managed the website and at OnImpact who designed the poster; to our followers on Twitter who spread the word about the competition, and especially to Tom Keay (@TeaKayB) at Bletchley who is such an avid promoter of all thinks cryptographic in the classroom. A special thanks to our sponsors: Netcraft, who keep our network safe; GCHQ and IBM for their longterm support (and of course, prizes!); Trinity College Cambridge and the University of Southampton, who understand the importance of outreach and have always supported the competition. Finally a thanks to my colleagues, Jim Renshaw and Rube Sanchez-Garcia for their help with this year’s competition.

Congratulations too, to everyone who took part in this year’s competition. As usual, I am in awe at the raw talent and commitment shown by all of you as you tackled the ciphers. Some of you joined us for the first time, and I hope you will be back next year to use your newly acquired skills on a new set of challenges. Others were taking part as competitors for the last time, but I hope you will keep in touch. You are always welcome to tick the “ineligible for prizes” box and keep at it. You have joined a huge community of National Cipher Challenge competitors (over 50,000) and will continue to find a home here.

Of course you all want to know who has won! I am afraid you will have to wait a little, as we now need to generate the leader boards, and contact those at or near the top to work out who to award the prizes to, so patience please. We will be contacting the candidates tomorrow or early next week and will make an announcement next Thursday, and there will be news about the prize giving shortly after that. You can keep an eye out on Twitter for updates, or return here and in the Forum for news.

Once more, thank you. It has been a privilege to get to know you all a little bit.

Best wishes,

Harry

Trees

It has been a nice time in all honesty. Best thing that this taught me was that MS Word has a find and replace function.

Thank you, Harry! I’m very proud of my students who have taken part in the challenge for the first time this year; some year 10 pupils even managed to complete the final two ciphers! We eagerly await the results and look forward to competing again next year.

Regards,

Mr Saxon
    Saddleworth School

Harry
    Keymaster

Thank you, that is amazing! Give them my best wishes and congratulations.

Harry

Thank you Harry and all the elves. This was my last year properly competing in this challenge as now I am too old and I can truly say it was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the unique challenges 10B this year and 2017 gave. I will continue entering next year and I hope to make my codes a bit faster, maybe try and challenge Madness for fastest a couple of times 😉. Again, thank you so much for running this competition and coming up with interesting storylines and ciphers every year

Harry
    Keymaster

Thank you too! I think we might need to start a “Pro board” for all you experts to compete with one another!
    All the best,

Harry

Another great set of challenges this year 🙂 I think this 9B was one of the hardest “final challenge” ones to get started on that has been given. Looking forwards to finding out exactly how others solved it and how they used the patterns that I didn’t see 🙂 – but equally, very pleased to have found a way to do it that was perhaps more general and didn’t rely on spotting the devious clues in the cipher text!

Harry – will there be a leaderboard of times for 9B? WE would love to know how our effort (17th December IIRC) compares to the true grandmasters out there!

Hen13ry

Thank-you for all the fun you have given us Harry. I really enjoyed working on (most) of it and gave me a reason to get back into coding. I also feel I have kind of made friends with my team-mate which I didn’t expect. Maybe next time I will teach her to code and work with her over email as we will be at different universities for a bit of fun next autumn.

Hello

Harry,
    By the way, has the leaderboard been updated yet?
    I’ve tried to look at the one for 9A and 9B but it says it hasn’t been posted yet :(.

Harry
    Keymaster

Will publish the leaderboards when we announce the winners next Thursday. All the best,

Harry

Speedbird279

Thank you very much to you Harry and to everyone who supported and provided for this excellent set of challenges. On behalf of my entire time, I am eternally grateful for a fantastic time, but more importantly, an excellent learning opportunity. See you all again next year. All the best, Tom.

Harry
    Keymaster

Thanks Tom, look forward to seeing you back here in October!

All the best,

Harry

Thanks for the great codes this year! Didn’t manage to solve 9B, but had fun trying.

Trees

Can we keep this forum discussion going until October? Just curious.

As you may know I was without a computer for a week, my friend took pity and let me use his for 4 hours after I’d posted my poem, in which time I’d solved and posted the 9B answer – just 29 hours before the deadline.
    I am now waiting to see if it was the very last answer to be posted, it will put a smile on my face if it was as you just can’t arrange for that to happen! (Well only if posted 5 mins before the end, but I had no means for doing that).

Doesn’t it make you feel good and proud (and amazed) to know that we have some very clever young folk these days.
    I really felt for those who struggled with 9B right to the end only to fail, their staying power shows them worthy competitors – they had total interest, non of that ‘I couldn’t care less attitude’ bravo for them I say.

Over 50,000 competitors, wow, the forum was truly in ‘silent running’ mode, imagine if they all made a post!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.