Skip to main content

Challenge 8B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AB1
    Participant

Harry, is it possible to get some clues about the types of cipher used in challenge 8B?

[Not this soon it isn’t! (Though there is one very obscure clue already given in the chapter title!) Good luck, Harry

f6exb_the_frenchy
    Participant

@AB1
    It can be solved with Word or Excel for replacements.
    After that you can use what you know already from the first challenges.

brickyboy
    Participant

I am struggling with what cipher 8B is. I’m pretty sure its a Polybius square type thing, but there’s a few variations. I have tried Playfair (somewhat) and have found nihilist (but not tried it yet). Basically, I’m wondering if I have gone way down the wrong path, or just need to keep trying. I know I probably wont get much (if any) help this early on, and that most of this will probably be blacked out, but I wanted to try.

[Ooooh, lots of clues here, but I am feeling generous! Harry]

Ainz
    Participant

what do you mean by “replacements”

f6exb_the_frenchy
    Participant

@Ainz
    I mean: replace a group of … numbers by one letter.

Feefen
    Participant

Thanks @f6exb_the_frenchy, this helped! I knew what cipher it was but was unsure as to how to start solving it. Now I’ve deciphered it!

Luke_Garner
    Participant

@brickyboy

You’re on the correct sort of page with a polybius cipher, however there’s an extra step following that for you to work out 🙂

The_Code_Less_Traveled
    Participant

A few more clues (if Harry will allow):

The person who first cracked this cipher was good friends of Jane Austin. In fact, his wedding was recorded in her novel Mansfield Park. This definitely doesn’t have anything to do with ciphers ;), but: Even though the book isn’t a French love story, it still is a great read.

Once you know the type of cipher, the rest is just like before… [Thank you, Harry].

sdv_x
    Participant

Not sure if Harry will let this through, but

5 numbers are used. 5^2 = 25 – almost the same amount of letters in the English alphabet

divide text into pairs of numbers

use frequency analysis to associate each letter with each pair of numbers

Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Report a problem