Skip to main content

The story

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Harry
    Keymaster

Have your own theories about what is going on and want to discuss them? If so, this is the place to do it.

janLopen
    Participant

If it’s relevant (and maybe even if it isn’t) can someone catch me up on last years story?

geek_girl
    Participant

Oh, it was about a kidnapping, etc. I think there was a paper hidden in a vault too… I didn’t understand it either! But you don’t need to know it do you?

geek_girl
    Participant

You can go to 2022.cipherchallenge.org to view last year’s challenges and the decrypts. It makes for great practice!

Cribbage
    Participant

As always, it is great to see the story unfolding in this year’s Cipher Challenge. For anyone new to the Cipher Challenge, cracking the ciphers is obviously fun, but often there is as much fun to be had mining the story for secrets or clues.

The librarian, Maisie Styles:

‘Styles’
    Presumably a nod to Agatha Christie’s first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

‘Maisie’
    There is a crime fiction writer called Jacqueline Winspear who wrote a series of books based around the character ‘Maisie Dobbs’. The series won Winspear several awards, including the Edgar Award for Best Novel and the Agatha Award for Best First Novel … Both Edgar Allen Poe and Agatha Christie are referred to in Challenge A this week.
    Or maybe her name comes from a story by Edgar Allen Poe called ‘The Cask of Amontillado’ (see Part A this week), which was apparently inspired by looking at a statue of a Lieutenant Robert ‘Massie’.
    Or perhaps there is no significance to the name ‘Maisie’ at all!

Nihii
    Participant

As a massive fan of epistolary novels, I’m super invested in the story – I think Part B of the introduction really hooked me into it. This is just a theory, but could Isles be the one who wrote it? I think it’s certainly someone in Rogers’ household. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Feefen
    Participant

I solved 6B a while ago and wonder how its key is relevant to the story…curious if we’ll discover that in the coming weeks!

10_F0X35
    Participant

I knew something was up since 7B… It’s been realy enjoyable to follow along to the story and now there’s a few Edgar Allen Poe books I want to read 🙂 Good luck with Chapter 9 and Chapter 10 eveyone!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Report a problem