Skip to main content

Bug reporting

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Harry
    Keymaster

Found a problem with the site that isn’t urgent? Report it here and the Elves will pick it up when they have a moment.

If it is urgent then email Harry at [email protected]

Jfairy

I don’t know if it is intended for the previous competition page to link to previous competitions challenges or not, but currently it either links to last year (which isn’t on the list) or to a picture – these aren’t particularly useful. If it is possible to link to previous challenges that would be nice if not don’t worry.

Harry
    Keymaster

Thanks for the enthusiasm! It’s not really intended so much as forced on us.We would love to link to past challenges, but unfortunately all but the last three years are no longer online. There is an archive of the challenge texts maintained by themaddoctor at GitHub:

https://github.com/themaddoctor/BritishNationalCipherChallenge

In time we hope to put something like the original sites back up, but for now that is the best we can do.

Madness

That archive is still missing two important files:
    FialkaSettings.pdf [2005]
    cards.png [2010]

I’m sure you sent them, but they never arrived in my inbox.

Harry
    Keymaster

Dear Madness, apologies for that. I have added the Fialka settings to this site at the following addresses:

https://www.cipherchallenge.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/FialkaSettings.pdf

I am not entirely certain that the following image is the one you are after, but I am hoping it is

https://www.cipherchallenge.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/cards.png

All the best,

Harry

Madness

Thank you for FialkaSettings.pdf!

Unfortunately, I already have that image of the cards. The one that I lack would be the one that was originally posted with the challenge. It should have only maybe half of the cards showing.

Madness

Or, if you can provide a list of which cards were showing, then I can modify the image I have to match.

Harry
    Keymaster

That I can do:

“The Schedule for the release of the key is as follows. The top twenty eight cards in the deck are published below. The next thirteen will be published tomorrow (Friday 17th December) at 3.30pm. We will then publish three cards a day at 4pm on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, of January. The final card is of course determined by the first 53 so at this stage you will know all there is to know!
    The top of the deck:
    46,54,48,49,8,3,25,22,19,13,14,24,26,40,15,9,50,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,1,42,43”

Does that help? Do you have the full deck listing somewhere for the phased release?

All the best,

Harry

Cribbage

The site runs fine in Chrome on my computer, but has been really slow lately in Edge. I have used Edge before and it has been fine. I am not sure if this is something to do with my set-up, or the website itself.

Madness

I looked back at all of the solitaire challenges in the past, and what you sent is from 2004, not 2010. Strangely, in both of those years, Dec 17 is on a Friday.

Madness

I have the full solution, but it doesn’t match the list you give.
    Compare to
    https://github.com/themaddoctor/BritishNationalCipherChallenge/blob/master/2010/8B/solution.txt
    and
    https://github.com/themaddoctor/BritishNationalCipherChallenge/blob/master/2010/8B/solution.png
    (which I found on archive.org’s incomplete copy of your site from 2010)
    and the image you posted above.

I think that the top 28 cards should be
    21,22,29,26,27,11,31,32,33,34,35,36,6,39,17,25,41,10,14,44,49,53,13,43,46,52,12,48

And regarding the original post in this thread, s/he is correct: the links to 2016 and 2017 are broken,
    and 2018 is missing. Strangely, the links for 2016 and 2017 both point to 2018.

Harry
    Keymaster

Ah, that will be it! Sorry about the confusion. Will take another look and see what we have lying around.

Agent-p-z

I’m not sure if it is intentionally giving an error just because it is the system test, but both Part A and Part B identified an incorrect letter despite the solution being correct. I’ve attached screenshots just in case this is a bug:

Part A Screenshot
    Part B Screenshot

It seems that there is some problem with your answer marking algorithm. I have tried the System Test Challenge, but it flags my answer as wrong because I have included the line breaks that are in the original ciphertext.

I have placed a screenshot here.

Mavzb

Hi Harry,

The ‘Get Your Certificate’ links don’t seem to be working properly at the moment. I’ve tried on different browsers (Firefox and Chrome), and multiple different computers. Clicking the link appears to initiate a download, but nothing actually gets downloaded. Looking at the download monitor, I get a consistent speed of 0B/s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.