Skip to main content

The official Challenge 10 tips and hints thread

The Body in My Library Forums Harry’s Meeting Place The official Challenge 10 tips and hints thread

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    f6exb_the_frenchy
    Participant

Lanaki quotes Bower and his explanations are practically identical.
    On the other hand, in Bower’s book, frequency analyzes are more developed.

Danika_Prasad
    Participant

what is the message supposed to be. is it a diary, a letter or what?

CodeKitten
    Participant

The tip “Here’s something a little different. (Actually, quite a bit different!)” I feel was quite a bit misleading as we have already had a hill cipher…

[Well yes, but you don’t have to think of 10A as a Hill cipher, it really didn’t need any modular arithmetic to solve, so 10A is a bit different from that! Harry]

Yuuta
    Participant

I wonder what mightve happened in 1902

[I think you are supposed to work that out! Harry]

MrGlover
    Participant

Harry.
    Massive thanks to all the team for putting the challenge together – I’ve loved every second of it!

[Edited by Harry: Thanks for the remarks, we really appreciate them. Glad you enjoyed it, and congrats on the solve as well as the detective work. Best wishes, Harry]

Bookwyrm2055
    Participant

Yay! I did it! Slightly faster than last year. Clues a bit cryptic but helpful. I really enjoyed the whole challenge, definitely made my brain fizz. Thank you to everyone involved. Loved the posters. Can’t wait for next years challenge!!!!!!!

[Thank you! Happy Christmas! Harry]

Watermelons
    Participant

First year of taking part and loved it! (Even if I should have been revising for mocks) Thank you to everyone involved, I’m going to force my team to take part every year from now on 🙂

[Not sure about the use of force, but “encourage” we can live with! Glad you enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing you back here for years to come! Welcome to the Cipher Challenge family. Harry]

Harry
    Keymaster

The sixth official hint for Challenge 10B

Harry
    Keymaster

The seventh official hint for Challenge 10B

I_am_Sid
    Participant

Just after publishing his famed Trifid and Foursquare ciphers, Dellastelle died in April 1902. A few months later in *December 1902*, an American Librarian used this , at that time new cipher, to encrypt her regret.

MagicDrea12
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure whether I’m a fan of Felix…

mossiethe3rd
    Participant

Hi Harry, I’m not sure if it’s a bug or if it’s because it’s the last challenge but whenever my team-mate and I have tried to submit 10B (we just solved it about 30 minutes ago and are very proud!) it will not let us and the submit button just continues to show the loading symbol. Is this a bug I should put on the forum or just because systems are down?

Thank you for your amazing ciphers!
    Robert and the badgers
    🙂

[Thank you for letting us know. We can see your correct submission, so there is nothing to worry about. Not sure what the issue was though. All the best, Harry]

Harry
    Keymaster

The eighth official hint for Challenge 10B

id-hkj
    Participant

Do we know that this is a standard 4-square cipher – not a variant with something changed to make it harder? Or are you not allowed to tell us yet.

Harry
    Keymaster

The ninth official hint for Challenge 10B

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Report a problem