Skip to main content

The official Challenge 9B hints thread

The Body in My Library Forums Harry’s Meeting Place The official Challenge 9B hints thread

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    The_Pi-thon_Person
    Participant

can you give any hints or clues as to where i can look to find the keyword to decipher this. I keep trying and i keep getting loads of small poems and rhymes (which are clearly wrong). Please I desperately need advice or hints or something to get the keyword!

JC
    Participant

is this Nihilist cipher?

The_Pi-thon_Person
    Participant

it is a nihilist cipher- ‘nothing’ in latin is ‘nihil’ which leads to the nihilist cipher. but i am so stumped with the key 🙁

The_Pi-thon_Person
    Participant

please harry, can you give us 1 clue about the keyword

[Is nothing I have published here any use?! Harry]

Laxzoy
    Participant

As someone who is fluent in ciphertext, I can confirm that nihil is indeed………… nothing in latin

kford_academy
    Participant

@The_Pithon_Person, I am giving you nothing! Zero! Zilch!

kford_academy
    Participant

(Maybe this hint can wait until later in the week?)

From Google Translate:
    Русский шифр

brickyboy
    Participant

Always remember, a keyword is nothing to be afraid of!

PeterTompkin
    Participant

The late Len Goodman would have given that cipher key a near-legendary score…

f6exb_the_frenchy
    Participant

You can find tips on how to crack this cipher by searching for”ben burlingham” or “crypto-it” (but not crypto.it).
    With these tips you’ll find the length of the key and then the key itself. It’s a lot of work with Word and Excel, but it can be done.
    Then subtract the key and you get a polybe square, which you solve in the same way as the previous one.

madness
    Participant

I updated and expanded the unit in my book about this cipher to now include an example of cryptanalyzing(*) it.
    But Harry won’t release it because he doesn’t care about you.

The new unit can be found in the github version of the book, but Harry will doubtlessly censor this message.

(*) “Z” is pronounced “zee”

[Excellent! do you want us to update the version in the library? As for Z/Zee, fair enough, but it’s analysing. Harry]

f6exb_the_frenchy
    Participant

There is a bug on github. Part 05.pdf can’t be downloaded and all.pdf can’t be opened in acrobat reader.

The_Pi-thon_Person
    Participant

As much as i am close, I still dont see how to find the wright keyword for the polybius square and the keyword for the encryption of the message. what am I missing!???

The_Pi-thon_Person
    Participant

i understand how to solve the cipher with the keywords but how do I get the keywords. I have tried every single link to ‘nothing’ and i have got nothing ironically.

madness
    Participant

I emailed it to cipher@soton

[Thank you, will check. Harry]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Report a problem